1

A stitch in time saves nine

Posted by Slowplum on 1/14/2007 09:32:00 AM
So Lola just left for home about an hour ago. She showed up for breakfast yesterday, and we spent the day just hanging out and whatever. We went to her favorite store to visit - Giant Tiger, and then everyone's favorite store - the Dollar Giant. My kids could spend hours there, and frankly so could I. There are just way too many options in a dollar store. I picked up some small kitchen utensils to use for my Dalek. It's a long story.

Over the course of the weekend I managed to teach Lola how to knit. She is mad-crazy in love with it now, and already signed up for the LB newsletter etc, and asked me to email her links to different knitting sites. I can't say I can blame her, loving the craft myself. There's something almost soothing about having to focus on nothing but the stitching in front of you. I'm sure there are those out there that get the same feeling when sewing, or scrapbooking, or whatever else they do. It's actually what brought about my previous post, as the last segment of the article so pointedly remarks that we feel more sense of accomplishment when physically doing something that produces tangible results.

As for my love of knitting, I find it soothing because I can't really have the ten thousand inner conversations going on in my brain while doing it. I have to focus so I don't mess up, you know? And that's so very, very nice. Because I have a really busy mind, and when I am sewing or scrapbooking or any of those other crafty things, there's a lot going on up there. I'm still thinking about whatever stressed me out or whatever I'm worried about or whatever I was planning to do after I'm done doing what I'm doing. I don't really do that when I knit. Which has a big appeal.

Lola also managed to get wrangled into playing Clue Junior with me and the kids. C won which made her happy as a kitten full of milk. K got really close which also made him happy. Lola only really caught on to what she had to do when the game was nearly over - Clue Junior is sort of like the original Clue, but there are quite a few different variables that Milton Bradley changed to make the problem solving simpler for kids.

She also tried out the Wii. We let her make her own Mii which tickled her pink, and then we played bowling, and K taught her how to box, and C taught her how to play tennis. She was pretty darn impressed, and worked up a sweat to boot! Chances are she'll be bugging JC for one now, heee.

My friend V is online at home now, and actually tried to get hold of me last night but I was helping Lola learn to knit so I didn't get to talk much with her. It's going to be nice to have the option to speak in the evenings though, as we only usually got a minute or two in the mornings before I went off to work and while she was on break at her work. Silly time zone crap.

Ok I'm off to work more on that baby blanket - got a little side-tracked from it (quel surprise I know!) but I'm back on.

1 Comments


KNITTING ROCKS.

I printed off the same blanket pattern you are working on right now but I need to pick up the right needles. And the right yarn.

Thanks for having me. I had a blast and miss you guys like nuts already.

Lo

P.S. I WANT A WII VERY BADLY RIGHT NOW.

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.