0

of holidays and such

Posted by Slowplum on 12/30/2004 06:55:00 AM
Interesting thing: all my mom asked for for Christmas was GNR's greatest hits.

Nothing says Christmas like "Welcome to the Jungle" blasting on the stereo.

My mom is so awesome sometimes. Anybody who knows her, knows how ridiculous it seems to know that she loves loves LOVES that band. LOVES THEM. She is the lady who has a house like a museum: cold and perfect. You actually expect the little velvet ropes to go across a couple of the rooms: LOOK BUT DO NOT TOUCH.

She also got drunk on Christmas Eve when we were over which was really uncharacteristic of her and also really really funny. Dad and I put together the meal and it was fabulous and she kept saying how grateful she was that we did it while she was at work - she fully expected to have to cook when she got home.

We got my Dad season five of "Sanford and Son" which we watched that night as well. I love that show.

The animal lovers of my readership will now gasp with horror when I say that I got a fur coat from my parents for Christmas. It is rabbit and it is warm. My mom said she was sick of looking at my old coat (which I've been wearing every winter since before I got pregnant with C, and she's six) and knew I'd never get a new one so they went ahead and bought it. No refunds or exchange. They also got me Pampered Chef stoneware which is perfect as I need new pans. (I initially wrote that as pants. Gotta love Freud.)

SO got me Lancome's "Attraction" and gift certs for the Scrapbook Centre and Lindor Chocolates (God I love those) and all sorts of cool things. He got me the cutest little case of bobby pins - thoughtful, thoughtful boy.

C made me a room freshener out of an apple, cinnamon, and something else. It was really cute.

K said he didn't make me anything but had a sekrit for me. When he got up to my ear he yelled "I LOVE YOU TEN THOUSAND MILLION DOLLARS!" and then gave me a zerbert (raspberry) on the ear.

My in-laws went overboard AS USUAL and got me all kinds of things I didn't really need but my fatherinlaw did put his foot in at some point and also got me a gift cert for the scrapbook store. Motherinlaw got me an electric can opener? WTH? I have one in my cupboard. There is a reason I don't have it out and in use. I don't need one. I've never wanted one. "It saves time" she says. Listen sister I've actually timed it and it's faster to use the handheld. Plus, the hand one I have from L is awesome it doesn't leave a sharp edge or anything, just unseals the can lid! Most of the modern appliances we use don't actually save us any time. Ask any housewife or cleaner and they will tell you so. You still spend all damn day doing things.

I asked SO why she keeps doing that and he says she doesn't think about what I need or want unless I put a specific list in front of her, otherwise she just buys things for the sake of buying them. I hate giving people lists of my desires/needs/etc and refuse to do it. (This stems from a very long story that I will not go into now.) He says that's part of why Christmas has lost its appeal to him - she has turned it into this big thing where it isn't about thinking and planning what to get for people that you might think they'd like - it is about getting a list and "why didn't you get me suchandsuch" and it's really annoying. I have to agree with him.

So yeah. Dec 17 was the Sousa Christmas, Dec 24 was C. Eve @ my parents', Dec 25 we opened our own little gifts in the morning, and the afternoon was at SO's parents. The fatherinlaw's one was on Dec 27th. You folks counting this madness? FIVE.

There are days when the really selfish part of me wishes we lived far, far away so that these holidays would be simplified to just the four of us. Except I'd miss my family but I am being completely honest here when I say my best Christmases were the ones spent in Quebec, because it was just me mom dad and my brother and it was so peaceful and wonderful I cannot even describe it.

I'm reading back on all I've just typed and I really sound like a miserable cur. I also feel bad and selfish especially when putting it against something as terrible as what has been going on in Indonesia et al.

I am really a good person. Really. I am.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.