0
Posted by Slowplum on 12/25/2004 07:06:00 AM
I wrote this last year in my e2 journal and it still applies now...

I think about the story of the birth of Jesus and I think if I were Mary, I would have been incredibly scared right about this time that year. How heavy is that, to have an angel come down and let you know you're about to bring forth the saviour? I cannot even begin to fathom it. I was terrified to bring my own regular, everyday sort of children into this world. And then I also think about the first time I laid eyes on those babes of mine, and how absolutely perfect that moment was, and I remember crying, and I bet you Mary cried too. Because savior or not, he was her son and he was a brand new baby and he needed her like no other.


My kids are still snuggled up in bed, for once I am the first person up for Christmas. I've spent the last hour looking at the tree and near-tears in thankfulness that I have what I have. I keep thinking about my parents and how they spent many a childhood Christmas in poverty, wondering where their next meal came from. The St. Vincent de Paul society truly was their saviour at this time of year, which is why we always adopt a family from the giving tree and get them things they'd need for Christmas. It really bothered me to see so much food thrown away last weekend at the Sousa gathering... I felt like inviting in 10 homeless people and telling them to eat their fill. If I'd known where to drum them up, I would have.

There are presents under the tree, food in the fridge, heat and electricity, and healthy happy souls in this house. I am more grateful than words can say.

may peace bless you all.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.