0

and answers for wamckee...

Posted by Slowplum on 6/21/2003 07:26:00 AM
1. After getting married, was there ever a time when you concidered divorce and why or why not?

Bah. Of course I have. Every day! :p

No seriously, I think I've only ever once given it any serious thought, we were going through some very tough times that I really don't feel comfortable talking about on an online journal. But I like to stick to things that I think are worth it, and I never once actually brought up the "D" word. I just sort of mulled it over in my head and thought "nope, that would be incredibly stupid." And that was that.

2. What impact (emotional, physical and spiritual) did having kids have on you?

Oh man. Well. When I first got pregnant with C it was a pretty emotional time because, she wasn't exactly a planned thing and everybody was all up in arms about the fact that I refused to marry SO just because I got pregnant. So my pregnancy I felt pretty much alone because my mother totally shut me out and wouldn't answer my questions when I felt certain things. And while my father grudgingly admitted that he was ok with it after giving it thought, he couldn't exactly help me with my questions either. I turned to a magnificent book, What to Expect When You're Expecting that answered a lot for me. And SO's mom was a little more helpful but not much. My friend S had already had a kid years before this so she was there as well but in all I felt pretty alone. I won't lie, I did consider abortion and something inside me just couldn't do it.

My labor with C was very long and very hard. They had to put me on this drip that basically pumped a fake hormone into my body to force it into labor. Because it was an artifice they had to drag it out longer and pace it just right. Which meant more pain. After she was finally born my body was bruised and beaten but I was happy. Then she got dehydration (she was born hungry, I hadn't produced any milk yet, it was the hottest weekend in May that year etc) and they took her away and put her in an incubator and stuck an IV into her all before telling me what was wrong. I was a complete wreck and cried my eyes out.

The first few months with her was an emotional roller coaster. She made me feel so happy and then so tired and then so exasperated and then so happy again. I also went through a terrible bout of post-partum depression that lasted about a year.

As she grew older, I grew with her, in a way. And my heart grew to bursting point every day. I can't really explain it. Parenting certainly isn't all peaches and cream, but there are days when I cry from happiness over something she has said or done.

When I found out I was pregnant with K, I really didn't know what to think. I was a little conflicted because again, it wasn't planned or anything, he just sort of happened. Before you go on a tirade about contraceptives, let me tell you that C was a birth control baby, and K was a birth control/condom combination. When LIFE wants to happen, it happens, by hook or by crook.

Anyway, my pregnancy with K was a very hard one, I slept a lot more he really drained me and then running after C was not helping with the drained feeling. I also was planning my own wedding and looking for a new house to fit the new addition that was coming to our family. Very stressful as I'm sure you can imagine. I also had to deal with grieving over someone special to me in the process. My emotion/spirit was conflicted and all over the place and there are days when I would go to sleep and almost wish I didn't wake up. I wasn't suicidal or anything, just soulfully weary. If that makes any sense.

My labor with K was very hard, this time natural but again, long. When I finally gave birth to him I was totally exhausted, and then there were complications with the afterbirth. They had to do a D&C (minus the dialation, since I was already expanded from the birthing process) without any anesthetic or anything, just strapped an oxygen mask on me and begged me to keep breathing. I almost died. I saw the white light and everything. I bled enough to go through the mattress of the hospital bed. I wasn't allowed to sit up until 2 days later.

After K I combatted post-partum depression again, but this round wasn't so bad because I recognized the symptoms and did things to keep it away.

My children make my heart smile like sunshine. But they also break it on a daily basis too. The calling of parenthood is a hard and happy road.

I hope this answers your question.

3. When you think of someone you've met online, does your impression of them change after you've seen their picture?

Nope. I'm not really concerned with what a person looks like.

4. What dark secret brought you to the web (online chatting, LJ, etc.) and why did you stay?

No "dark secret" brought me here. Just a healthy dose of curiousity. Why did I stay? I really don't know. Good people. Amusement.

5. If you could do one thing to make the world a better place, what would you do and why haven't you done it (or if you are doing / have done it, did you get the desired results)?

I suppose I could say something like "eradicate war", but even war has its place in the natural pace of things. The world is so huge, and I am only one person. I don't really know how to answer this question, because I think that "the world" as a collective cannot be made better just by one, but by everyone each doing their part. If a few don't, it shows. The effects can be enormous.

Ok I'm tired. That parenting one just wiped me out.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.