0

I am a sentimental sap.

Posted by Slowplum on 10/22/2002 05:58:00 AM
Thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes, I greatly appreciate it :)

So last night my father came over to our house and watched the kids while we went out to see a movie and have a light supper. We watched Sweet Home Alabama because SO didn't wanna watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the other movies sucked. Then we went out for food and ran into eleventy billion people we knew which was kind of nice but also kind of bothersome because we wanted wind down time. Then we came home and put the kids to bed (they waited up for us haahaa) and listened to music and drank some wine. SO's anniversary gift to me was these gorgeous crystal wine glasses and a very very nice bottle of ice wine. I gave him a sweater (haha P I told you I would) and a book from his favorite author. I was going to get him a toy for his computer but money is pretty tight around here these days...

Sweet Home Alabama was your typical sappy girlie movie, about marrying and divorcing and then not divorcing your childhood sweetheart. It got me thinking about my own story about SO and I and I thought I may as well post it.

The Daffodil Story

One night many moons ago, I was sixteen. My best friend at the time, JM, whom I called Mickey because of his uncanny similarity to Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, and got everyone else to call him that too, decided we should go drinking in the cemetary. Because the next day was report card day, and he was failing math, and figured this would be his last hurrah for a while.

Anyway. We went and he brought along his friends, SO and JE and I brought along my friend L. I had to lead everyone through this trail that goes along behind the cemetary because JM is deathly afraid of spiders and I had to "clear out the webs". True story. We get to this spot under a willow tree and JM proceeds to get very, very drunk.

I had never met SO before, he seemed quiet but nice. Blue eyes to die for, tall lanky boy. JE I had met before, more's the pity. He tried to get me drunk. And failed miserably.

JM got drunk out of his tree. He tripped over everything, apologised to grave stones, and lit the wrong end of at least three cigarettes before finally giving up. By this time JE and L were busy talking it up (poor L, she was too nice to tell him to go, so she just kept listening to him). Meanwhile it was time to go home. So SO and I got a hold of each side of JM and practically had to carry him.

About halfway there, we passed by a house with a really magnificent garden. In the garden were tons of daffodils. We of course got on the conversation and I mentioned I really loved daffodils, I wasn't sure why I just liked their shape and their look and their smell. We kept walking and talking and carrying JM. We reached a corner and he said "wait a minute, I have to do something" And he threw JM in my arms. I figured he had to pee or somethin, right? So anyway, he comes backa few minutes later and hands me a daffodil.

I was so pleased. I was smiling the whole way home. I put the daffodil in a book to press it.

SO and I never got together then. Things were hinted at and mentioned and rumored but nothing ever came of it. Actually, the night he was going to ask me out, some other boy did instead and I said yes. And after that it was just a series of bad timing and one or the other or both having a person in the picture. So then I break up with someone, its a nasty break up leaving me feeling pretty damn raw and scared. Anyway, he's still going out with this girl TB, whom I end up living with for a year (the same year she breaks up with SO and SO and I get together, oh man is *THAT* a story). I'm of course infatuated with him but I don't know what to do. So I let things be. Move in with TB and my friend EF (who is dating my friend JM).

At this point I am noticing a mutual attraction between SO and I (well it had been going on for some time, I just kept lying to myself about it). But I don't want to do anything to jeopardize his relationship, even though she was screwing around on him with his best friend at the time. He and she finally broke up. I was there on that day. So he said he was coming back that night with JM to go out and celebrate. He came back and we all got drunk and he ended up spending the night in my bed, but I swear to God nothing sexual happened. We ended up talking all hours of the night. He stayed the whole weekend.

Then he called me on Tuesday and told me he couldn't stop thinking about me. I told him that I really liked him, but I wanted him to wait things out and I wanted to give him space. I told him I would wait for whatever decision he had to make, but I wouldn't wait forever. He told me he didn't need time. He had been thinking and the only conclusion he was coming to was that there was only one woman for him, and her name was G. Then I hung up the phone because I didn't know what else to do.

This leaves me feeling so confused, and scared and happy all at once. I didn't know what to think. Because there was something about the look in his eye. So I sort of clean things up a bit and I'm crying because I am emotionally overwrought. I'm alone in the house TB had gone home for the weekend and EF was at a late class. I start shuffling things around and this book, "FireStarter", a hardcover of the King novel, falls off the shelf. This book falls off the shelf and lays open to what page? A page with that very daffodil on it. And it lay there, mocking me as if to say I knew all along this would happen.

And we got together the very next weekend.

I still have that daffodil.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.