0

100 things about me

Posted by Slowplum on 3/25/2006 09:00:00 AM
I figured this should be good for a laugh, or at least addle my brain. One or the other. You know. So it's Saturday and I have a little time before I start my power clean for tomorrow's book party (yay for kids books being delivered right to my home!)

100. It is probably going to take me a few days to do this thing, so the above will be null and void by the time it's done. That is because I am good at starting things but sometimes take a while to fini-

99. Up until about Grade 6 I could not wear anything less than 24 karat gold in my ears. It drove me nuts and I kept trying to wear costume jewelry all the time so my ears were always red. The perseverance paid off however as now I am capable of wearing whatever I like.

98. I have never tasted an avocado. Not even in guacamole form.

97. I am allergic to mustard. It makes me break out in terrible hives.

96. I am allergic to blueberries. It makes my throat close up something fierce.

95. I am allergic to marijuana. It causes me to have siezures. Some doctors believe it isn't so much an allergy as it is one of my "triggers" because -

94. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 16. Because of this, I could not get my license until I went 2 years without a hospital visit over seizures.

93. I finally achieved this benchmark at the age of 20, and thus had to go through the gruelling experience of that whole G1, G2 crap the government instated.

92. After I had my second child, the amount of times I've had a seizure now adds up to six. Considering my second child is going to be 6 in July, that is pretty damn fantastic.

91. I no longer need to take anti-seizure medication on a daily basis, but do have it on hand, juuuuust in case.

90. After I had my first child I suffered from post-partum depression that was so terrible it lasted right through my second pregnancy and for 2 years after my second child was born. I had no idea that that is what it was and it nearly destroyed my marriage and my life.

89. Some of you who read the above will be pretty shocked to know that.

88. When I was 18 I had an emergency appendectomy and the appendix burst on the operating table.

87. This happened 2 weeks before my prom. I went anyway. HA!

86. When I was 23 I had a cyst removed from my left breast. It was the size of an almond, and thankfully, was benign.

85. As a result of said cyst removal, I now have to have a mammogram done once a year.

84. When I was 28 I had my gall bladder removed. It was the size of my fist and very diseased. They still don't know what was wrong with it. It just stopped working and started poisoning me slowly.

83. In April of the year I turned 22, my SO & I moved into our first home. On moving day I went into false labor and as a result we spent the first night of owning our new home in the hospital.

82. In May of the year I turned 22 I gave birth to my first child. It was a beautiful baby girl.

81. In July of the year I turned 22 my father's father died of prostate cancer. We buried him on my birthday. I will never forget it because of this.

80. In May of the year I turned 24 one of my dearest friends died in a car accident.

79. In July of the year I turned 24 I gave birth to my second child. It was a beautiful baby boy and looked almost exactly like my father's father. We named him after my friend.

78. I almost died when I gave birth to my second child. During the experience I truly felt something or someone carried me through. If I had to wager a guess I would say it was my grandfather.

77. In October of the year I turned 24 I got married to my best friend and the father of my children.

76. Two weeks later we moved into our second home.

75. I only have one sibling, a younger brother. We were born 18 months apart.

74. Between the ages of 2 and 14 our family moved six times between two provinces. Since then I myself have moved 4 times, twice while in University.

73. I went on a plane for the first time at the age of 15. We went to Nova Scotia to see my aunt and cousins. I celebrated my 16th birthday there eating fresh lobster I caught myself.

72. Confession: I have read L.M. Montgomery's "Jane of Lantern Hill" at least 3 times a year every year since 1991 when I first received it for Christmas from my godfather.

71. I have no idea why I like that book so much. I just do.

70. I lost my virginity at the age of 16. I never understood what the big deal was.

69. When I was little I was convinced that one day I would marry Superman.

68. I dressed up as Wonder Woman for Halloween 3 years in a row.

67. Sometimes I catch myself saying things just like my mom did, and it scares me a little.

66. My most hated chore of all time is doing dishes.

65. I used to have 6 piercings, now I only have 4. The third piercing in each ear closed up because I was lazy and forgot to put my earrings back in one day. It doesn't really matter since that third time piercing them was done from boredom moreso than a real desire to have it done.

64. In August of the year I turned 29 I got my first tattoo. It was a decision I had mulled over for about a decade. Twice I'd made an appointment to get one and twice I had to cancel because I found out I was pregnant. As a joke my sister in law got me a gift certificate to get one done and attached a pregnancy test with it. Then she called me up in August and said "take such and such day off" so I did. Then on that day she said "still have the test? Take it." And thus, a tattoo was born. By that point in time I'd had the design all planned out so it is not a flash-in-the-pan decision, it is something very personal to me.

63. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being too verbose with these tidbits about me. Is it supposed to be only one or two lines? I'm confused. I'm also wondering if it's cheating by using one of the things about me to explain this. I don't think so, since this analytic back and forth is indeed something about me, and something that occurs rather often. Ah well. On with it, then!

62. I have serious bouts of insomnia that can go on for months at a time. It seems worst between the months of August and December.

61. The first thing I ever cooked on my own was macaroni salad. I was 10.

60. The first full meal I ever cooked was a Portuguese roast with potatoes, rice and vegetables. I was 12.

59. My first "real job" was working as a coffee slinger at a local coffee shop. I used to work the evening shifts after school and on weekends I'd work the late shift. I got to know quite a few choice words and the drunks liked me a lot because I'd actually listen to their ramblings. As a result I made a killing on tips.

58. My very first pet was a goldfish that I overfed and it died. My parents kept buying more goldfish and I kept overfeeding them.

57. They gave up on the goldfish and got us a black lab. I named the dog Lady (from Lady & the Tramp) and I loved her so. But she made a horrid wreck of our little townhouse so one day my Dad "took her to the beach" to play, and when he returned she did not. "Where's Lady?" I said, and he said "I'm sorry sweetheart, Lady decided to go live with some farmers now" and I cried and cried because I thought "how come? Doesn't she love us anymore?" but I didn't tell Dad because he looked so upset.

57. I was so forlorn over the loss of Lady that my parents decided to get me a kitten. My kitten was named Spook. She was named Spook because she terrified me. She terrified me because -

56. When I was 4 or 5 (it's foggy now) my grandfather's dog Rex bit me. This happened after we lost Lady. My grandfather had turned it mean by keeping it chained up all the time, he turned it mean to protect my grandmother because my grandfather travelled lots. I was not aware of this, and went to pet him, and - well, I'm sure you can guess the rest. I didn't get any stitches but I do have a nice scar from it.

55. This kitten named Spook got her tail run over by a car when we were living in Quebec. So she had this little nub of a tail for the rest of her life. I think she blamed us because she ran away the night before we moved.

54. I really missed Spook a lot, and my parents got us two kittens afterward. Tonya, an orange tabby who ran away 3 weeks after we got her; and Tiger, another orange tabby who we are pretty sure was stolen from us because he never went farther than 3 feet away from the front door. He was skittish about everything.

53. As a result, we had no more pets while living in Quebec. When we moved back to Ontario we inherited an old long-haired cat named Angel. Angel stank to high heaven and had fleas something nasty, and was always getting burrs in her fur, and was altogether such a pain in the ass that we sent her packing back to the old farmer that gave her to us, and never had another pet until -

52. The year I turned 17 my friend N gave me a farm kitten whom I loved to bits and named Pooh. Pooh because he was orange and loved honeysuckle. He was the runt of the litter but turned out to be the biggest of them all and the only one who got to see old age.

51. My mother put Pooh down a few years ago and didn't bother to tell me about it until the deed was done. I'm still upset about it so it is one of those things our family never talks about.

50. We have a long list of "those things our family never talks about". I think it's a European thing - some things just aren't discussed.

I think I'll stop here and post from 49 to 1 later today. Mostly because I'm seeing a lot of things that need cleaning and am feeling guilty that they're not getting done just so I can fill out a damn list. Later gaters.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.