2

so mad I'm shaking

Posted by Slowplum on 12/04/2007 05:31:00 PM in , , , , ,
I don't know what to do with K anymore. Third note home since November 5th with regards to his being rough and picking on, of all people, his best friend. All three incidents involved his friend, all three incidents he "said he was sorry" and had to go to the principal. I have no fucking idea what to do with him as our typical punishments don't seem to be getting through.

What really makes me irate is that just this morning, he and I had a long talk about his behavior and he PROMISED he would behave. Promised me like there was no tomorrow. So imagine my surprise when I find at the bottom of his school bag (which was soaking wet for the third time in a row because yet again, he didn't put his water bottle in his lunch bag and also left the damn bottle open) another note from his teacher explaining that, yet again, he has done something not very nice to his friend. This time around he threw snow down his friend's coat and hat. Last time he had pushed his friend into a block of ice. The time before, oh god I can't even remember.

I was so mad I was crying. I'm at my wit's end and have no idea how to get it through to him, that if he continues to behave this way, a few not so nice things will happen. First he will lose every last one of his friends. Nobody likes a bully. Second, he'll probably get suspended or expelled. Thirdly... I don't even want to think about it. The path he is walking is not a good one. And it just kills me because he is such a good boy, deep down, and has such a good heart, and I don't know where all of this aggression is coming from. He says he just can't control himself sometimes and this is what he does to let out whatever is in him. I say he needs to learn and real damn quick son because: my wit's end? Yeah. I'm there.

So I'm at a point where, do I do the thing I really don't want to do, and not give him the main thing he really wants for Christmas, to teach him something? Or do I try and figure out something else? My dad would say just tan his hide until he can't sit for a week, and while in a way I'm tempted, it would just be sending the kid the worst kind of mixed message.

I don't know. And I'm so upset, and I'm embarrassed because I really like the family of his friend, and there are only so many phone calls I can make to apologise before even I don't want to hear it anymore. What do I do? I don't know. I don't know. The only thing I can do right now is cry. I'm so frustrated.

2 Comments


Hey Miss, Your post breaks my heart - but I have been there, so I thought I'd post some suggestions. Please take the ones you like and toss the rest.

First, it sounds like all the events are happening at recess. When you ask him why he pushed or threw snow, what does he say? Was he angry or does he just not have the foresight to see what his actions might do? Its important to know if you are dealing with real aggression or if he is just doing his thing and it happens to be hurting best friend.

Second, schedule a conference with the teacher. She knows K and will have some advice that you maybe didn't even think of.

Third, start a behavior chart with the teacher. Maybe at each recess he gets a sticker, 3 recesses + 3 stickers = extra tv or video games or a treat.

Fourth, Don't take away Christmas. Every gift is another chance behavior reinforcement.

Hugs from Ireland! Hang in there - this will pass!

Facty


This is tough hun, I wish I knew what to say to make it better.

All I know is, you are one of the best parents I know, and when you get through this and I need your advice in the future, you will help me get through my challenges.

I'm thinking of you and if you ever need a shoulder to cry on or a telephone to cry on, call me.

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.