2

With a knick, knack, paddy-whack

Posted by Slowplum on 7/21/2006 07:18:00 AM
Give your dog a phone, this old man came bowling home. This old man, he played three, he played knick, knack on my tree...

K's been singing his own version of "This Old Man" all morning. Pretty much since 6:30 when he popped out into the hallway and announced, "It's my birthday today! Happy my birthday, Mommy!" And I said yes, and happy birthday old man. And that's when he started singing.

I'm waiting for bacon to thaw to make him his choice of birthday breakfastness. Pancakes and bacon. No joke. He likes it when I cut a heart into his pancakes.

Now he's singing a made-up song called "I loooove you Mom, I looove you Mom, Mom I waaant breeeakfast, I looove you Mom."

I still remember the day he was born with such clarity it's a little frightening. Most memories are a mix of clear & foggy wherein I have most of the details correct but when I try to summon up images in my mind, I fall short. But the birth days of my children I remember as if it were happening just now. For K, I remember right down to when my water broke at 3:13 pm (I know this because I glanced at the clock). Whereas C's birth was filled with anxiety and uncertainty, K's was more... calm I guess. Although I assure you, the doctor was not so calm when the blood was soaking through the mattress and to the floor and he was trying to keep me alive after the birth.

What I mean to say is, the water broke, and instead of flying into a panic I calmly got up, starting preparing things, called SO at work, called a few other people while waiting for SO. SO took us there, stopping at a grocer first to get a sandwich, some magazines, a book. We got there and while yes, I was pretty god damned noisy during the birth and yes, there was one part where I was actually in and out of a daze and saying some pretty amusing things - it was still calm.

In any case... today is my baby boy's 6th birthday. He is like this burst of sunshine and enthusiasm about this world that just shatters me sometimes. His sincerity and capacity for love just makes me want to hug him to bits.

The bacon's ready. But before I go I want to remember this:

Little boy, sitting in a sunbeam, having little dramas with his dinosaurs, and humming little made up songs. Long lashes, deep brown eyes, whisp of a smile, tiny body that will one day grow into man and no longer need me. But today, still mine. I love you K. Happy Birthday.

2 Comments


You get "I love you" for giving birth? Oh, you're lucky!!! I consider myself fortunate to get a mere handshake from T when I've made him a special $5 salmon steak, marinated and massaged all day. Yes, a handshake. Where did he come from???


You get "I love you" for giving birth? Oh, you're lucky!!! I consider myself fortunate to get a mere handshake from T when I've made him a special $5 salmon steak, marinated and massaged all day. Yes, a handshake. Where did he come from???

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.