0

Random thinking

Posted by Slowplum on 12/07/2003 08:07:00 AM
Was woken up to two big brown eyes staring at me willing me to wake up. I mumbled a good morning to my son and pulled him into bed between SO & I and hoped I could get another 1/2 hour of rest in. No dice. K has this habit of playing with my face when I'm lying there until I wake up. I turned over hoping it would deter him but that only gave him the bright idea to pull up his legs and try to push me out of bed with them, kangaroo style. I finally gave up and got out of bed at 7:30 in the morning. I actually got to sleep in until 7:30 this morning! Ahh, parenthood...

We all tromped downstairs (because where my son goes, my daughter isn't far behind when it comes to waking up in the morning) while SO slept peacefully (is still sleeping, in fact) and I threw on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (the animated version). And now both tots are fast asleep on the couch and I am wide awake.

I'm considering making some chocolate chip pancakes, except that would make three mornings in a row I've made them (the other two mornings were at the pleadings of my little ones). Perhaps an omelette. Confession: I cannot make egg dishes to save my life. They always end up a blithering mess that I end up calling scrambled eggs. When I try to fry em up the yoke always breaks on me. It's heart-rending, however much I try I fail. My husband, however, makes a mean breakfast. Which is the nice thing about marriage: sometimes what one cannot do, the other can, or what one will not do, the other will. For instance, he absolutely hates doing dishes, while I don't mind it. So I'm the dish-washer. But I hate laundry, while he prefers it. He's laundry boy.

This is the first weekend since last APRIL that I haven't had anything to do, and now I'm pacing like a tiger.

I've been reading my daughter C a couple of chapters of The Little Prince each night, and she is absolutely loving it. She always nods sagely when the narrator talks about how silly grown ups are. She's getting a little worried, though. We are at the part where the Prince talks about sheep eating flowers. I told her that sometimes stories and other things are sad to remind us to appreciate the happy things in our lives. She felt better about that.

Putting up our tree this year was fun as always. I'm finding that this age that my kids are at is the most fun. Their delight and enthusiasm for the season awakens good memories. I won't kid myself or any of you, it brings up some really bad ones as well, but I am smart enough to tuck those ones aside for the time being. The kids have rearranged the tree decorations eleventy-bajillion times now, and we only put it up on Monday! I may have to put a damper on their re-arranging enthusiasm... but why be a killjoy? The ornaments are plastic, they can do no harm. That's why I bought plastics in the first place. For plastic, they sure look like glass baubles. Heh.

K has taken to calling reindeer "snow angels". I asked him why he said it was because "they fly like angels and do good things for us, mum".

Last night my sister-in-law graced us with her prescence, and the kids pounced upon her immediately. Since she moved to her college town in September, we haven't seen or spoken with her. She's never home because she works two jobs and goes to school... This weekend her DJ'ing job brought her our way so we were the first place she stopped at. She, the kids, and I ended up making peanut butter cookies, which is always chaos when you have a 3 & 5 year old all elbows poking in to get to pour the next ingredient. I should also note that it is freaking HILARIOUS to watch them squish the peanut butter cookies into oblivion with their forks. The squished with wild abandon no matter how many times we showed them not to do it so hard, and we were all laughing and it was great fun. No matter, the cookies were delicious, if a little monstrous-looking.

Today we might go to visit my new baby cousin, RS. My Uncle MS & Aunt ES just had their first baby on Nov. 22, likely their last too because they are both in their late 30's and Aunt ES had so many miscarriages before successfully carrying this one. I decided to give them space before visiting, for one because ES had had a caesarian done and it got infected and needed healing, and for another because I remember taking my own babies home, how it was nice to have visitors but nicer to just be left alone so I could heal and get used to being a mom.

It is strange, having a cousin 27 years younger than you are.

I hear my little monkeys stirring on the couch; time to go see what mischief they're up to today.

I've been informed that I should let it be known: there are only 18 more sleeps until Santa breaks into our house and gives us presents.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.