0

Other Things

Posted by Slowplum on 8/19/2008 10:18:00 AM
Woke up this morning positively freezing - had left window open last night to pump fresh air into my poor addled lungs and this morning was *frosty*. Brrr. Am wearing favorite cardigan and wooly socks. Wishing I had some biscotti because I really want some right now for some reason. Some biscotti and a warm fresh pot of coffee. I am also craving a cigarette, something I haven't felt in a long while - I've been a non-smoker for years now and I'm not about to break that streak. I quit cold turkey and I refuse to return to that deliciously deadly habit. But it doesn't mean that I don't still occasionally want one.

K lost a tooth last night! He was so stoked to leave it for the tooth fairy. Our tooth fairy doesn't just give money - there's usually a present of some sort (stickers, gum etc) that comes with the loonie or toonie. So last night I couldn't find my sticker stash, and I was out of gum. I had stashed away some cherry m&m's to bribe him with helping me weed the garden, so that would have to do. Put that + a toonie in his little tooth fairy pillow that hangs on his door, thankfully remembered to remove his tooth. He checked on it at 1 am (woke up for bio, and saw pillow full) but only saw the chocolate. Told me this morning in a concerned voice "Is the tooth fairy going broke on me? She only left me these?" and I told him to dig deeper. He found the toonie and was delighted again. "How does she know I love the cherry m&m's? Is she a spy? Is she watching me *gasp* right now!?!" (I hugged my boy like the dickens today. I can't tell you how much my kids have helped me these past few months). C told him that she was pretty sure that mom had a direct line to the tooth fairy like she does with santa & the easter bunny.

C is getting to a tricksy age - she *wants* to believe but she hears so many conflicting arguments. Last Christmas her faith in Santa was renewed when she and K each got a DS - neither knowing we'd saved for a couple months to get them - because "there's no way you and Dad could afford to get us each one plus all the presents plus everything else Mom. There's TOTALLY a Santa and I am going to punch A in the arm when I see him next for telling me there wasn't! I think Santa just gave up on him because he doesn't believe anymore and maybe that's worth TWO punches!" and then she got all concerned and said "Do you think Santa would consider that naughty? I mean I *am* defending his honor and everything - I bet he would forgive me for it!" And I said of course he'd be ok with it but also said to be careful because in grade 4, punching a boy in the arm is the universal code for "I like you" and she said that was ok because she was pretty sure A wouldn't think that of her because "we're just friends, mom, seriously" (insert eyeroll here).

S and I have been of the philosophy that we will let the kids figure it out little by little. My Dad always said the trick was to make it so that you never really remember or pinpoint the age when it happens - it happens so slowly that you just sort of emerge on the other side of the magic unscathed. You're okay with the truth by the time you learn it, because it came upon you in stages, and it grew with you as you grew up. And I think that's ok by me. The world has so little magic left in it and so little innocence, and kids are exposed to so much and practically forced to outgrow these things, that I am fighting it tooth and nail. Every year we manage to pull something miraculous off that reaffirms their wavering belief. I realize our grip on this is tenuous at best, and that they probably realize things more than they let on, but fuck it, this is one lie I am willing to live for a little while longer.

That was a totally left of center thought process. On to other stuff.

This past weekend I went and saw Caesar & Cleopatra, and let me tell you - totally worth the 2 days of pain afterward. Christopher Plummer is fantastic! It was a thrill to see him, and we got really really good seats. Set design was also fantastic, but then I've never really been disappointed with anything I've seen at the festival, and being a local, I've seen plenty.

Also got a crapton of yarn from a nearby yarn store that had Needlecrafts yarn on for 40% off - she was making room for more Noro stuff. Because I'm on her mailing list she sent info on it before the sale so a friend got there early for it and got some on my behalf. Italian silk and chenille for 40% off? Yes please. There's a knitting fair in September, which I am already gearing up for.

Medically speaking, there's a lot more testing going on, but it's nothing I really feel up to talking about - I'm tired of being a pincushion/guinea pig and I don't really like complaining every day about what's wrong with me. So while it would appear to the untrained eye that I am doing fine now, the truth is far from this, but also something I don't feel up to unraveling any more than it already has.

Coffee's ready. Time to have some and see if it will keep me awake. Will have to settle for some toast, as the biscotti fairy refuses to magically make some appear for me.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.