0

Happy Birthday, Dad

Posted by Slowplum on 8/25/2008 06:19:00 PM
Today is my father's birthday. He is all the way in Mexico, and the only way I can wish him a happy one is over the phone. But I cannot get through to him. We got his voice mail, and the kids and I sang happy birthday to him, and that will unfortunately have to be enough for now.

I find I am really missing him, now more than ever. Growing up, my father was my confidante. He was the first important man in my life. He wasn't afraid to tell me the truth, no matter what I asked him about. He showed me how to dig out weeds and dig my hands into the earth unafraid. He taught me how to dive into the water no matter how murky or deep, how to keep afloat when it felt like the only other outcome was to sink. He nurtured in me the love of music. He taught me to be unafraid to feel, I mean truly feel things. He also taught me to protect my heart - that you can love someone with everything you have, but always keep a piece for yourself - the piece you will need to keep it together when life disappoints you.

So now, because life has been pretty damned rough with me, I find I miss him. I am a woman and a mother and a wife now, but I was a daughter first. And no matter how old you get, there will be points in your life that you need your parents. Whether you like to admit that or not, there it is, the truth.

In any case, sending the vibe out into the ether - happy birthday, Dad. I love you.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.