0

we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

Posted by Slowplum on 6/25/2005 07:07:00 AM
SUCCESS! My God, SUCH a success! The turn-out for mom & dad's 30th was MARVELLOUS and they were completely surprised! No idea whatsoever. Mad props to my brother R & his girlfriend MW for not only giving them both an ulcer this week (they said they wanted to take hers & his parents out for dinner, to tell them something. My parents thought it was either marriage or MW was pregnant, and they were heavily leaning on the second one), but also for managing to convince them to put blindfolds on.

Once they got in MW's care they told my parents that we had all chipped in and got them something really big for their garden, but it was a total surprise so they had to be blindfolded. They brought them into the hall blindfolded and as they walked in the DJ announced their arrival and off the blindfolds went. We found the music to their wedding song (Speak Softly Love) and it was playing as they got in the door. My dad immediately started to cry and my mom too. Neither of them had any idea and they were so happy (not to mention relieved that MW is NOT pregnant, haha) and I'm so glad we did this for them.

The music was TERRIFIC and Mark (the DJ) really knows how to play with the crowd. We had a mock wedding set up for them as well, I managed to find a terrific and huge afro wig and restored mom's original wedding veil and we had vows that said things like, "I promise to lift the lid" and "only 1 new piece of furniture a year".

I managed to say a speech about how my parents got together (which I'll post the contents of later) without crying until just afterward. My mom & dad started off the dancing with Elvis Presley's "Love me Tender". Then we had a song dedicated to dad Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" because he loves that song, then a song dedicated to mom Guns N Roses "Sweet Child O Mine" because SHE loves that song, and my friends I tell you that all the youngsters were very impressed that MY mom was rocking out to GNR. My mom is cooler than your mom, neener neener. (you'd understand this better if you knew my mom, whose home has museum-quality decor - you actually expect to see the velvet ropes across some of the rooms - and everything is impeccable. now picture this house with "welcome to the jungle" blasting out of it on christmas morning. yes.)

Everyone seemed to have a great time and I am completely exhuasted but so, so happy. I was up till late Thursday night and woke up early Friday and was gogogo all day long getting everything ready. Right now I have my cousins JPk, L & her fiance JC (they're getting married in 3 weeks, eeee) sleeping over. In spite of getting to bed at 1:30 I once again woke up with the birds at 5:30. JPk, L & I are going to meet L's friend T in London later today for L's bachelorette getaway!!!! So hopefully I can get a nap in before then.

I'll write more later (tho frankly this is the most I've written in a while, go me) just wanted to jot a few of the finer details down before I forget them.

Have a great weekend everyone.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.