1

I will try not to breathe

Posted by Slowplum on 1/06/2008 04:03:00 PM in , , ,
So my great-uncle Arturo passed away today. He had been struggling with lung cancer for a few months now, but interestingly enough it wasn't the cancer that killed him; it was a bout of pneumonia.

My dad is pretty upset but doing what he always does when he's upset over something - squashes it down to the bottom of his toes and walks it off. There is a lot of stuff behind this and I would like to elaborate but I shouldn't and especially not on a public journal. Suffice it to say - there is a lot of misguided guilt there with regards to great-uncle Arturo's brother Danny and I don't want to elaborate too much but my Dad has some very hard feelings against the man (Danny not Arturo) and is going to have to squash those down as well as great-uncle Danny will most likely be at the funeral. Which is interesting because I thought he was in jail or something (again, LONG LONG story).

This is my grandfather's brother we are talking about here, just to make it a bit clearer. I don't really know how to process it. I knew the man and loved him because he was family, but didn't feel incredibly attached because he is all the way in Fall River MA and I'm all the way here. We used to visit twice a year though, and he was nice and had the kind of laugh that made you feel like you were in on some delicious joke.

I don't know what else to say, except that I feel a little numb, and it isn't just the cold doing it this time.

1 Comments


Old people do things we'll never understand; we'll never be able to "get" the meaning or put it in context because we weren't there. You know this Slowplum... it's that simple and that heartbreaking... we should all be collecting stories from our elders before they are gone.

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.