0

turn off the screams week

Posted by Slowplum on 4/30/2006 10:34:00 AM
This week was "turn off the screens" week at my kids' school, and to show my support I also turned off the screens save for when I was at work or at home checking mail for the school council. K called it "turn of the screams week" because he mis-heard what the teacher said. So whenever he and C were playing outside and she'd be rip-tearing around and shrieking, he'd give her heck for it. It was funny as all get out.

A week in internet time however equals to about a hundred years, so I feel out of the loop on everything.

Last night SO & I went to a mystery dinner theatre. It was hilarious and good and the food was awesome too. His workplace has a social club that puts together these gatherings so I got to meet more of his co-workers (more's the pity). JG & ME came as well so that was nice.

It's C's first communion next weekend and she couldn't be happier. We bought her a tiara on Friday to wear in her hair, she's quite pleased with herself over that. We're having a gathering afterwards at my parents' home because their house is much bigger and can accomodate the 40-odd people coming. Should be fun.

K is in a little Rainforest play in his Kindergarten class, they're performing it for the parents on Wednesday but unfortunately I cannot take the time off work to see it. SO's on afternoon shift though so he said he would go. K was delighted over this as it's pretty rare that Daddy gets to go see things. I caught him practicing in his room, making little birdie sounds because he's playing a Macaw. He had the door closed and I could hear him chirping and when I opened the door to see what he was up to I caught him flapping his arms and swooping around and he turned around and yelled at me. "Don't look mommy it's going to be a SURPRISE!"

Both my children fill my heart with joy but I must confess, that baby boy of mine, oh that boy of mine... sometimes he fills it up so much that I think it may crack into pieces from the love.

C is turning 8 soon. She has decided since it's her first communion the same month as her birthday, she didn't want a party just wanted her and I to go out just the two of us for a day. I've decided on that day I'd fill her in a little more on the facts of life. Moreso the "what's going to be happening to you and your body" bit. I was 9 years old when I started my menstrual cycle and by the age of 10 I had filled out a size a bra and was already working on the b cup. My mother wasn't prepared to talk to me until at least twelve so when things started happening I thought I was dying. The terrible cramping and the bleeding only confirmed my fear I must be dying. It seems funny now but at the time it was very serious to my 9 year old brain.

So, I've made the executive decision to prepare my daughter for the inevitable. She's a pretty astute girl and I think she'll handle it well. We've already had some brief discussions to lead up to it so I don't think it will frighten her much, I just want to prepare her and initiate the talking, so that she feels comfortable coming to me when things get more complicated in her life which they inevitably will.

Time to go now, my stomach is muttering something about breakfast.

What's new with YOU?

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.