0

an update of sorts

Posted by Slowplum on 9/20/2005 07:31:00 AM
I'm the treasurer for the parent council at my kids' school this year. Last year's treasurere whooped with delight when she heard someone was interested in an executive position; she'd been doing the job for the past 4 years. Then she tossed a binder in my lap and told me the GST report is due Wednesday, so chop chop. Heh.

C joined Brownies last week, she is *very* excited. The uniforms have totally changed. I guess even Brownies need to be hip these days.

My Organizational Behavior class is really interesting, but man oh man does she pile on the homework.

K has been having issues with the same little boy as last year. I told his teacher and she had a very long talk with all of her class about personal space and safety.

To make K feel especially loved and safe, she let him be the Happy Helper yesterday even though it wasn't technically his turn, and he got to take hom Kiki the Kangaroo, which is a little stuffed Kangaroo with a little Joey in her pocket and everything. K gets to take care of her until next class and write down all of her adventures in her "journal". K was proud as a little peacock yesterday when I went to pick them up because of Kiki.

THAT is a good teacher.

Yesterday I also stayed at the school for most of the morning setting up all the books for the Book Fair they are having this week. This is more difficult than you can imagine because I have to sort of "censor" some of the books and not put them on display. My kids go to a Catholic school and while most of the grades have books that you don't really have to watch, it was the teen section that gives the most grief. There is an actual list of books we aren't allowed to sell them. They can purchase these books from other places, and read them during their spare time if they choose, but we cannot sell them said books.

Mostly the problem is that scholastic sends us a lot of books that aren't age-appropriate for the 11-13 crowd. A lot of the books are targeted towards 16-18 year olds. Which is fair enough.

SO anyway, about that bomb I wasn't supposed to drop until I was told I could: My friend ME is splitting up with her husband. He's moving out on the 15th, leaving her the house since she'll have main custody of their four kids. She told me on Saturday because she couldn't keep it from me anymore, and she needed someone in her corner when she told all her other friends at book club last night. She told me in particular because she knew I would not interrogate her, I would not prod at her, I would let her say whatever she wanted to say and leave it at that. And because I wasn't very surprised when she told me. Not at all. I've seen this coming for a long time. She said they had officially discussed the separation in January and that BE was more or less sleeping on the couch since then, trying to save up money to get an apartment. ME finally told him that he may as well move back to his folks' home and save there, because you can't save money in a house full of kids when there are bills to pay, etc. Every time he had almost enough saved up, was when someone needed sports money or the car blew up or whatever.

She hasn't told her children yet. She wants to wait until closer to the time BE moves. I give her a lot of credit for knowing when to call it quits. What sense is there in staying together and being miserable? People who "do it for the sake of the kids" really don't have their kids' best interests at heart, because kids are not stupid and they know misery when they see it. Why raise them in a miserable home? Why raise them to see mom and dad fighting all the damn time? Yeah. No thanks. It wasn't anything either of them did, the just grew apart. ME married BE at 18, pregnant out to here with her first son NE. She has said herself, had she not had kids with him, they'd have split up long ago.

Tonight's wing night. Mmm, chicken wings.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 the saddest girl to ever hold a martini All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.